Wednesday, December 21, 2011

What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen

I am a huge fan of all Sarah Dessen books. It started about two years ago, when my friend introduced me to her books. Now I can officially say I love her books! Why? Well, because I just finished her latest book, What Happened to Goodbye! 4 out of 5 stars.


What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen
Out! Yay!
4 out of 5 stars
Summary from Goodreads: Who is the real McLean?

Since her parents' bitter divorce, McLean and her dad, a restaurant consultant, have been on the move-four towns in two years. Estranged from her mother and her mother's new family, McLean has followed her dad in leaving the unhappy past behind. And each new place gives her a chance to try out a new persona: from cheerleader to drama diva. But now, for the first time, McLean discovers a desire to stay in one place and just be herself, whoever that is. Perhaps Dave, the guy next door, can help her find out.

Combining Sarah Dessen's trademark graceful writing, great characters, and compelling storytelling, What Happened to Goodbye is irresistible reading.


It's amazing how Sarah Dessen can tell the same story about a girl over and over again without it being boring. There's always a girl who changes with the help of quirky friends. And each time, there are some family issues and a guy. But no matter what, her books are still so good! So it's incredibly amazing...

McLean is definitely the most aggressive main character Sarah Dessen created yet. She's open about her anger and opinions from the beginning. She's not afraid to rebel against her mother or do things she wouldn't have done before. She's not afraid. But even more, she's a fighter. She's definitely a character that I love like crazy. She's definitely the awesomest protagonist ever!

Dave... well let's just say I don't have a set opinion about him. Yet. I felt like I didn't see enough of him throughout the story, but I liked what I did see about him. He was cool enough for my taste, but still. I guess I'm kind of glad that the guy in the story wasn't the main focus in the story though. It's pretty nice for a guy not be there as much.

I love how McLean's relationship with her parents change throughout the story. The development is huge, to put in loosely. In the beginning, McLean's bitter and mean towards her mother. In the end, I guess they're better. It's nice in a story when they change. Of course, this is Sarah Dessen, so everything's nice.

But one thing that you might not like is how Sarah Dessen's books always stay the same. You either like them or you don't. While I like how she can tell the same story over and over again, you might not. Some people just don't like getting the same story with a different cover, and that's fine. It just depends on what you like.

But I still recommend it anyways!

No comments:

Search This Blog