Sunday, January 19, 2014

Interview with DD Chant, Author of the Broken City Series!

Hi readers! Today I bring to you an interview with DD Chant, the fabulously skilled writer of the Broken City series. The second book, Broken Truce, came out very recently, so I interviewed her about it.



Life isn't turning out the way that Deeta thought it would. With the Lewises defeated and peace between the tribes, she'd believed that the dark times were in past.
However troubles between the tribes continue, and the Andak council has selected Tom as their ambassador and chief spokesman to the other tribes.
Deeta knows that there is still much resentment against the Andak, and that Tom is in danger every time he leaves the safety of Andak city.
Struggling with her own complicated feelings against the tribe that she is now a part of, Deeta tries to ignore the changing attitudes growing within her.
Then Tom is betrayed, and with the whole City thrown into great danger, Deeta finds that reality can't be ignored forever...





1. How long did it take you to write Broken Truce?

I challenged myself to complete the next books in all three of my series in 2013, so Broken Truce took me three and a half months to write. It was really great being able to go back to Deeta's world and expand upon the City and the different tribes. 

2. What is the biggest obstacle Deeta and Tom must overcome?

In this book? The Lewises. In Broken City you hear a lot about the Lewises, but you don't really get to *see* them. In Broken Truce the Lewises take centre stage and Tom and Deeta find themselves in the line of fire.

3. What is the biggest piece of advice you'd like to give aspiring writers?

Never stop trying to improve. Even when people tell you that they loved your book, that your writing style is great, there is ALWAYS room to hone your writing skills a little more.
Also it's really important to be polite to your readers, even if they didn't enjoy your work. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but writing a book DOES NOT mean you're entitled to brilliant reviews.

4. How did you get inspired to write Broken City and Broken Truce?

It all started with a dream, just a scene with Deeta and Tom talking about Dec being taken. (Before you ask: no, I wasn't in the dream myself!!!) I couldn't stop thinking about it. The dream left me with so many questions, so I started writing and Broken City was born!

Broken Truce came as a surprise to me. Broken City was intended as a stand alone book, but I received so much support from readers and requests for another book in Deeta's world that I decided I would write another. Broken City had an open end, so there was plenty of room for another book, but I didn't just want to write one for the sake of writing one. I wanted to wait for a really good story line. 

5. What is one thing you changed throughout the writing process of Broken Truce?

Broken City is narrated predominantly by Deeta, but only a third of Broken Truce is told from her perspective. You get to hear a lot more of Tom and his brothers in this book, particularly the twins, Cayden and Jayden.

6. What have you learned as a writer through this series?

Less is more. I like to explain how things are said when I'm writing dialogue, but those explanations get in the way and stop the writing from flowing. I'm slowly learning that good dialogue doesn't need any explanation. If your characters are well drawn and the reader will know how each character is feeling with out you having to tell them every five minutes!

7. Which character are you most like or would most like to be?

This is a hard one! My aunt tells me I'm a lot like Deeta, and my sister says I'm very like Jan...

Which I'm pretty sure means I have a split personality!!!

Thank you, DD for your inspiring answers to my questions. I truly enjoyed this!
Please buy her book here.


No comments:

Search This Blog