Thursday, November 10, 2011

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

Did I mention that I love creepy, crazy, cool books? That give you nightmares when you're awake? Well, I do. I like books that are slightly insane and different and totally awesome. This was no exception. So, without further ado, 5 out of 5 stars!


Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
Published 8.30.11
5 out of 5 bloody stars
Summary from Goodreads.com: Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.

So did his father before him, until he was gruesomely murdered by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.

When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn't expect anything outside of the ordinary: track, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he's never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, now stained red and dripping with blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.

But she, for whatever reason, spares Cas's life.


To start, I absolutely devoured this cover! It's so pretty, creepy, dark and absolutely influential. Yes, influential. I started drawing Anna on the backs of papers, complete with blood and all. Not to mention I used like 5 pieces of paper...
Yeah, I love this cover.

Then there was this plot. What can I say? I loved it! Part love story, part horror, my favorite type! I loved how it starts with Anna, well kind of, and how she spares him. I love their romance, if you can call it that. It was so cute!!!!! I love how it's kind of a hate-love relationship (aka slow) so it seems realistic. I loved it and devoured it to read it to pieces!!
The horror. The horror part of this plot had me shocked and mumbling unintelligible words under my breath. Literally. The truth of his (insert spoiler but I'm not saying what it is) _________ had me floored! Kendare Blake is really good with twists and turns and curves... just saying. Basically, imagine people with their jaws dropping. Yup, that's this plot for you.

I love Cas Lowood! I love his attitude, his name, his awesomeness, everything. I love how he's actually not dumb, pretty observant, smart, clever and just Cas! He's definitely going on my crush list! I absolutely love him! (and his amazing knife skills...) Then there's this whole I'm-going-to-avenge-my-dad's-death thing that makes him even more irresistable! I. Love. Cas. Get the picture?
Swoon, swoon, swoon, I LOVE YOU CAS!

And then there was Anna. Whoa... I was not expecting her. She's stunning, stunning and stunning. Or a goddess, as Cas says. I really loved her character. She was so amazing! Or as I should say, stunning! Be ready to be shocked by her awesomeness! She's creepy, scary, bloody, and just plain Anna Dressed in Blood! Not to mention that she is probably the best ghost in the history of the world...
history of the universe, I mean.

I loved the uniqueness of this book. You usually don't get ghost-killer at all in a story. Or kitchen-witch. I liked how Kendare didn't shy away from a totally different mind-blowing story. I loved how Cas killed ghosts and all! And how he has this freaky athame to do it...
I wish I wrote this book instead! That's how much I love the uniqueness.

Also, this ending was the ultimate ending. It was perfect. It wasn't satisfying, but no amount of Cas and Anna will satisfy me. I need more! I couldn't believe this ending. It's jaw-dropping, mind-boggling, and out of this world! Literally... (I think Anna goes somewhere else and it's not Heaven...)

CAS CAN'T I BE YOUR GODDESS OF DEATH? Haha...

No comments:

Search This Blog