Sunday, November 27, 2011

Halo by Alexandra Adornetto

I like angels. They're so awesome and pure and white and... angelic? Not to mention that they're so soulful and cool and amazing and selfless and kind and just praise-worthy. But unfortunately I felt like this book didn't really meet up to the standards. So 3 out of 5 stars.


Halo by Alexandra Adornetto
Out
3 out of 5 stars
Summary from Goodreads: Three angels – Gabriel, the warrior; Ivy, the healer; and Bethany, the youngest and most human – are sent by Heaven to bring good to a world falling under the influence of darkness. They must work hard to conceal their luminous glow, superhuman powers, and, most dangerous of all, their wings, all the while avoiding all human attachments.
Then Bethany meets Xavier Woods, and neither of them is able to resist the attraction between them. Gabriel and Ivy do everything in their power to intervene, but the bond between Xavier and Bethany seems too strong. Then comes the brooding and popular new transfer, Jake Thorn... who just so happens to be in Bethany's class. Something about Jake seems to be hiding something darker, something more powerful than expected. That thing, and Xavier, distracts Bethany to a point that Gabriel and Ivy are concerned.
The angel’s mission is urgent, and dark forces are threatening. Will love ruin Bethany or save her?


There were only two problems I had with this book that ended up in a deduction of two stars.
1. The Cheese
I absolutely hate it when books are incredibly cheesy. And unfortunately, Halo is one of those books. It was so cheesy that I started ranted about the amount of cheese to all my friends and made them all annoyed with me. But that's not the point. The point is that the cheesiness in this book was unbearable, more unbearable than most books.
2. The Pace/Underwhelmingness
In the first 400 pages, basically nothing happened. I'm serious! It was basically just describe all my days at school and that's it. And unfortunately that happened for 400 pages. When this happens, the reader usually gets either mad or really mad. And I was really mad. So in a nutshell, it was slow.

However, just like there were its weak points, Halo also had its strong points. For example Bethany. Bethany was a fairly good character. She was kind-hearted, sweet, nice and basically an angel. I wish I were as good and nice as her. She was a fairly nice protagonist and definitely worthy of praise. At least in my opinion...

I also liked Alexandra's writing style. It was definitely one of the only exceptions to my no flowers policy! Sure the writing was flowery and all, but I actually enjoyed it for once! She also had the ability to describe every single thing in the story yet still not make me bored. That takes skill, which I fully admire.

And then there was the whole entire moral of the story. Okay, it was a cheesy moral, but who cares? It's a good moral! Be kind and be good make me scoff and agree at the same time. I'm still kind of deciding whether or not I like it...

So this was an okay read with a read-at-your-own-risk stamp on the book, courtesy of me.

No comments:

Search This Blog