Monday, December 5, 2011

Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler

I really, really liked this book. I loved this book. That's more like it. When I was starting Twenty Boy Summer, I really did not expect how moving and good it would be. I was expecting a light quick-ish read, but it wasn't. Twenty Boy Summer was definitely more: more intense, more sorrowful, more amazing. 5 out of 5 stars.


Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler
5 out of 5 stars
Published 6.1.09
Summary from Goodreads: "Don’t worry, Anna. I’ll tell her, okay? Just let me think about the best way to do it."
"Okay."
"Promise me? Promise you won’t say anything?"
"Don’t worry.” I laughed. “It’s our secret, right?"


According to Anna’s best friend, Frankie, twenty days in Zanzibar Bay is the perfect opportunity to have a summer fling, and if they meet one boy every day, there’s a pretty good chance Anna will find her first summer romance. Anna lightheartedly agrees to the game, but there’s something she hasn’t told Frankie–she’s already had her romance, and it was with Frankie’s older brother, Matt, just before his tragic death one year ago.

TWENTY BOY SUMMER explores what it truly means to love someone, what it means to grieve, and ultimately, how to make the most of every beautiful moment life has to offer.


Wow... let's just say I wasn't expecting this. Anna and Frankie, are on their ABSE (Absolute Best Summer Ever), after Matt's death. Anna kind of falls in love, but she doesn't want to, because that means forgetting Matt. Forgetting Matt means getting over his death. Anna doesn't want to.

Throughout this book, Anna makes choices that she sometimes regrets. And sometimes she makes choices that she believes in. But no matter what, you always feel this connection to Anna. That's how relatable she is. You understand all her decisions and heartbreak and love. You understand why she can't let go- or rather, why she doesn't want to. She reminds me a lot of the main characters in Sarah Dessen's books, and that's a compliment.

Another thing I really loved was Sarah Ockler's writing style. (Whoa, she and Sarah Dessen have the same first name!) It was soft yet intense, beautiful yet harsh, and perfect! I absolutely loved how amazing it was! This book was a definite page-turner that had me staying up way late just to reach the last page. And I'm telling you, that takes skill... and some major writing style.

However: warning there was some innappropriateness going on, but not in the beginning of the book. You definitely probably need to judge whether or not you still want to read this book. You have been warned, and I leave you with three words:

Read this book!

No comments:

Search This Blog