Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Enna Burning by Shannon Hale

I love, love, love Enna Burning, to the point where I'm fired up and about to burn! (Bad pun!) I fell for The Goose Girl, but I've fallen even harder for Enna Burning. Maybe it's the word burning, but I have no idea. All that I know is that it's a definite 5 out of 5 stars!
Enna Burning by Shannon Hale
5 out of 5 stars
Published!
Summary from Goodreads: Enna and Princess Isi became fast friends in The Goose Girl, but after Isi married Prince Geric, Enna returned to the forest. Enna's simple life changes forever when she learns to wield fire and burn anything at will. Enna is convinced that she can use her ability for good--to fight Tira, the kingdom threatening the Bayern borders--and goes on secret raids to set fire to the Tiran camps and villages. But as the power of the fire grows stronger, she is less able to control her need to burn. In her recklessness she is captured by the Tiran army and held captive by a handsome, manipulative young captain who drugs her to keep her under his influence. Can Isi and her old friends Finn and Razo rescue her without sacrificing themselves? And with the fire still consuming her, will Enna find a way to manage the gift that threatens to destroy her?
In The Goose Girl, I didn't exactly like Enna. She was just too bubbly to the point of annoying. However, in Enna Burning, I got to know Enna Burning and understand her a little more. I can't say that she's my favorite character, but I can say that I like her a little more and I don't think she is annoying. Enna definitely is flawed. She has good intentions, but she is a bit rash and bold at times. That gets her in a lot of sticky situations, which causes more trouble than she expected. The main issue is that she does everything independently, even though she needs the help of her friends. It's hard for her to change, but by the end of the book, she develops like crazy. I love character development!

I also love twisted, messed up villains. I fall in love with them, which is pretty unfortunate for my friends. In this book, the twisted guy really takes advantage of Enna. He does mean well, but he also has high wants. He wants Enna to betray and kill against her will, but I still can't help but fall in love with him! I think he's so broken, even though he is also incredibly selfish and mean and cruel. It's so sad how messed up he is. If he had a better heart, maybe Enna would seriously consider him. Finn was cute and loyal and all, but I just couldn't really connect with him. He's just so nice to a point where you think he's too nice. He's perfectly quiet, which is definitely a little boring. Sure, he may be the best guy for Enna, but he's totally not the best guy for the reader. I want a guy with issues, not a guy who is a block. No offense to anyone who loves Finn, of course. It's just that I want a guy with attitude!

I totally missed Ani and Geric! Ani is still your wise character who can definitely help Enna, especially when Enna discovers the gift of fire. Fire is a blessing and a curse. It gets you wanting to burn more and more, to the point where the people you love are in danger. You end up falling victim to its addiction, and there's no going back. Unless, of course, you have a great friend who has the power of the wind. Friendship is a topic that is greatly stressed, and I love how Shannon Hale intertwines it with a bit of fantasy! Isn't it so amazing how fairy tales are so interesting now? Yes, I now love them.

P.S. The Goose Girl is actually a real fairy tale, one of many compiled by the Grimm brothers! I just read it last night, and I have to say, I love Shannon Hale's version a whole lot more! It's so much more detailed, although I greatly enjoyed the shorter version as well!

No comments:

Search This Blog