Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher


Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
5 out of 5 stars
Published
Summary from Goodreads: Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers thirteen cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker, his classmate and crush who committed suicide two weeks earlier.
On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.

Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.

13 Reasons Why I Loved This Book

1. It's so beautiful and heartwrenchingly sad.
I guess that goes with books about suicide, but it's just that it's so fragile as well. This book seems like it could break and fall apart and waver in the wind. Of course that isn't the most important thing. It's just that it can make you cry like a maniac and more. In other words, bring some tissues!

2. It's not cheesy.
I hate cheesiness. I hate all cliche and annoyingly predictable plots with mushiness. Luckily, Thirteen Reasons Why is not one of those books. Instead, it's realistic and real and actually sad and a portrait of what can happen. I'm still amazed by how much I didn't rant over the cheesiness because there's NOTHING to rant over. This book, people, is something for the people in life who love to find realistic books. (Which means everyone!)

3. It affects people.
This book makes people want to change themselves for the better and stop acting petty. It makes them want to pay attention to the world and help make it happier. It makes people want to avoid Hannah's situation and actually do something. It's inspiring; need I say more?

4. It's narrated by two people.
At the same time. Side by side. The only way to tell that Hannah is talking is by the italics. That's crazily hard to do, and guess who pulled it off? Jay Asher. Yup, that's right. He pulled it off flawlessly without getting the reader confused or wasting the reader's brain. He actually pulled it off! Congratulations!

5. It's short.
I finished it in a day without spending too much time. For readers who don't really like reading, this book is a must! Thirteen Reasons Why is a sucker-punch people! It is a masterpiece because it manages to fit a ton of punch in less than 300 pages! That is called genius!

6. It has a great writing style.
I love first-person! It's so easy to understand and all, but that's not the main point. I feel like I can bond more with the main character than in third-person. Furthermore, Jay Asher's writing made you feel sad, happy, worn out, whatever he wanted you to feel! It's kind of beautiful, kind of brief and straight to the point. It's epically amazing.

7. It has an epic title!
I don't need to expand on this, do I?

8. The characters really are something rare.
Hannah is a gem. She's clever and morbid and depressed and truly messed up. That's why I like her. She is a truly flawed character with issues. That's life, and she wants you to know it. I don't approve of her actions, but I love her character.
So many characters are flawed and haved individual personalities. Mr. Porter, Bryce, Clay, Courtney. All these people are truly not just characters, but real, animated spirits.

9. The cover is perfect.
Something about a girl on a swing just totally pops. It's not normal. It's not done. It's unique, just like this book.

10. It's unique.
No one writes about the reasons why a girl killed herself. Period. Except Jay Asher. That's why I loved it.

11. These names are incredible!
I love how the names seem modern and brief and contemporary. They pop with the story and make you remember them. They are totally epic and amazing!

12. It happens so quickly.
Thirteen Reasons Why spans over a period of less than 4 days. It's so brief and quick and just what I call an "overnighter." It's focused mainly on one night, yet there's so much to read about! It's totally not normally done, which is another reason why I love it!

13. It's crazily popular!
I love how popular this book is. Now I can talk to people who've actually read this book and bond with them! Okay, so maybe that's not a valid reason, but not like I care! Popularity can be a reason, as long as you let it!

No comments:

Search This Blog