Sunday, April 1, 2012

Grave Mercy by R.L. LaFevers

I know this book is morbid, but I can't help loving it. I hate how it makes death seem so amazing, but I love it anyways! I can't help obsessing over everything about this book even if it's so creepy and scary and totally not normal! I love Grave Mercy even though I'm not supposed to! 4.5 out of 5 stars.


Grave Mercy by R.L. LaFevers
4.5 out of 5 stars
Publishing 4.3.12
Recieved from NetGalley
Summary from Goodreads: Why be the sheep, when you can be the wolf?

Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts—and a violent destiny. If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others.

Ismae's most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany—where she finds herself woefully under prepared—not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make. For how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart?


Ismae is a strong, jaded girl. She's so broken and has definitely been through tons of harsh experiences. When she finds herself at St. Mortain, things start to change. She starts to grow even stronger and become a warrior, or rather a handmaiden to Death. I liked reading about her experiences at the convent and what she learned. What I loved is how she developed from a bold girl unable to love to someone who is strong yet loves incomparably. I guess Ismae is that girl who is a jewel in the rough. I guess she's too amazing to write about too much as well....

Gavriel Duval. I guess all the guys who are epic assassins and have major charm happen to have cool names! He's so sharp and brilliant and sly and clever and simply not normal! At first he's headstrong and bold and totally ticks Ismae off, but as they get to know each other, they totally can't live without each other! You see, they have great chemistry! I love how their comebacks and conversations totally build off of each other. If I have to only write one thing, I guess I'd say that Gavriel totally rocks your socks off! (And your shoes!)

This is not your normal plot with normal twists and normalness. Grave Mercy is about a mission, a mission so huge that it contains so many side stories. There's a murderer, a traitor, a task to be fulfilled and allegiances to be pledged. There's so much happening that it sometimes gets overwhelming! Not only that, but there's the whole morbid aspect of it all; usually death is not that welcome or normal of a topic, but in Grave Mercy it is. One thing to definitely keep in mind is the uniqueness of this book. I don't think you'll find another one like this!

The setting is breathtaking. There's so many descriptions of an older time with simply beautiful and half romantic sights. I love how Grave Mercy is set in a time long ago, so the author gets to make everything up! The setting totally brings a lot of unique stuff such as different weapons and dress. If Grave Mercy was set in a contemporary frame, it just would not have the same ring to it. In other words, this setting is perfect just the way it is.

It's coming out in two days! Make sure to get your paws on it! It is totally more than worth it! Yay!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there :) just popping in... I've heard such good things about this book and I am soooo looking forward to reading this book!

Book Enslaved

Valerie said...

I can't wait for you to read it! :)

Search This Blog