Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

I guess I'm probably the only person I know who has not felt passion to this book to the point where love is in the air. I mean, sure I admired it and all, but I didn't love it. I don't understand what went wrong because I should love The Immortal Rules. There's great character development, tons of bloody action and just enough romance. It's either me or the vampire aspect. It's probably just me....
3.75 out of 5 stars.

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa
3.75 out of 5 stars
Published 4.24.12
Recieved from Netgalley
Summary from Goodreads: In a future world, Vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity. Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten. Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them. The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked—and given the ultimate choice. Die… or become one of the monsters. Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad. Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend—a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike. But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what—and who—is worth dying for.

The Immortal Rules starts off with Allie in the Fringe, barely surviving with her friends, including a boy named Stick. She's the only one who cares for Stick, who happens to depend on her. He can't survive; he literally has a bare mind and survives only by the kindness of Allie. Until the day Allie is attacked by rabids.

Then a vampire offers her a choice: die or stay forever dead as an immortal vampire. Of course, Allie chooses to become a vampire. During that process, she learns so many skills. She learns that vampires cry blood, they can only drink human blood, and that some are incredibly evil and will do anything for an exotic looking girl. She learns to fight with a katana- an epic Samurai sword, which is so cool! She also develops a ton of skills, including being super fast and silent and having the ability to naturally attract people. She starts getting used to being a vampire!

Fate brings her to join a group of humans who don't know she's a vampire.... yet. There's Caleb, this really cute little boy who has yet to learn about the evils in the world and Caleb's older sister, Ruth, who is a very jealous girl with relatively well intentions. And of course there's Zeke. He's the love interest, and surprisingly, not a bad boy. I thought he would be like Ash, but Zeke's this really nice boy. He's a golden boy... literally. He's got blonde hair and blue eyes which are to die for! Of course, Allie doesn't want to fall in love with him. After all, it puts him in trouble. As time passes, however, she can't help it! I mean, who can resist Zeke? He's just so nice and so good and so angelic and so kind! He's the type of boy that you can always love and always count on. He would never try to put you in trouble or forget you.... as long as you're a human.

Of course, that brings an epic plot twist! Actually there are tons of plot twists! You see, Julie Kagawa is the master of plots. At first I thought I could predict what would happen, but I was wrong. You can't tell who is the traitor and who is the good guy until the end. That brings me to the cliffhanger! There is this huge cliffhanger! I can't believe it! It was crazily great! It's not a cliffhanger that's boring; it's a cliffhanger that makes you want to go to Julie Kagawa's house and kidnap her and force her to write you the next book quickly! Yes, it's that crazy!

However, there were also some other parts that I did not like. I guess it's the whole vampire aspect. There's something about vampires that is just so old, no matter how you try to revamp them. (Bad pun!) I guess even if your vampires are like Allie, you still can't help but get sick of them. It's just a natural reaction. I think everyone will love it though! It's just that I'm a little different.... not always in a good way. Another thing is Allie. I don't like how she's so rude and rash and mean, especially to Ruth and Zeke. I know that Ruth is not the most admirable character, but Allie should have treated her more nicely. I think that Allie's behavior really stopped me from liking her as much as I should have. It's just so unsettling how mean she is. She should have a nicer heart... no offense. As for Zeke, sometimes Allie treated him like trash. He honestly should have been treated more nicely. At times, I was awestruck by how she treated him. So yes, Allie isn't exactly the most lovable character, even after you find out about her life.

BUT I'M STILL GONNA READ THE SEQUEL! It's a love-hate relationship!

No comments:

Search This Blog