Friday, March 30, 2012

Tempest by Julie Cross

1521 ratings later, I finally realize that I should actually start reading a book that's been on my shelves for over three months. 706 reviews later, I finally post my own. Now I actually finished it! 4.25 out of 5 stars!


Tempest by Julie Cross
4.25 out of 5 stars
Published in 2012
Summary from Goodreads: The year is 2009. Nineteen-year-old Jackson Meyer is a normal guy… he’s in college, has a girlfriend… and he can travel back through time. But it’s not like the movies – nothing changes in the present after his jumps, there’s no space-time continuum issues or broken flux capacitors – it’s just harmless fun.

That is… until the day strangers burst in on Jackson and his girlfriend, Holly, and during a struggle with Jackson, Holly is fatally shot. In his panic, Jackson jumps back two years to 2007, but this is not like his previous time jumps. Now he’s stuck in 2007 and can’t get back to the future.

Desperate to somehow return to 2009 to save Holly but unable to return to his rightful year, Jackson settles into 2007 and learns what he can about his abilities.

But it’s not long before the people who shot Holly in 2009 come looking for Jackson in the past, and these “Enemies of Time” will stop at nothing to recruit this powerful young time-traveler. Recruit… or kill him.

Piecing together the clues about his father, the Enemies of Time, and himself, Jackson must decide how far he’s willing to go to save Holly… and possibly the entire world.


I've waited a long time to read Tempest and an even longer time to finally read another book about time travel. As for the time travel in this novel, all I will say is that it's not exactly what you'd expect. You see, no matter what he does when he is time traveling does not change the present. I thought that was pretty cool, so I was even more cooled out when even more action started pouring in. When Holly got shot, I was shocked even though it was already in the summary. Still, that's not even the most exciting! It's just the beginning! In other words, this plot is filled with ACTION AND TWISTS. It's just that amazing!
Plus, there's a bit of the spy stuff going on. You have the CIA, science nerds, some hardcore ninja moves and, I repeat, a ton of action!

Jackson is okay. I personally do not think he's that crush-worthy, but he's still a decent guy. Sure he might have some issues like being secretive and being easily forgetful, but no one's perfect. The reason why I don't love isn't because of those issues, it's just that he isn't exactly what you would call a bad boy. Half of me really loves how he loves Holly and is really loyal to her. The other half kind of hates him because he actually seems kind of normal. With Jackson, I'm on the fence. Nothing else to say now.

Another thing that happened with Tempest is that I kept on putting this book down. The first day I read it, I only got to page twenty. I then put it down for two more days. Finally, I started reading a bit. Basically, with Tempest, you can't really guarantee that you'll ever finish it. It's not that it's a bad book, it's just that it's kind of forgetful in my opinion. I kept on getting distracted by other books for some odd reason, and I honestly do not think I will be the only one who ends up distracted.

It's not that the writing is bad. In fact, it was great. I loved the first-person writing and how I was not lost as the setting kept on changing. I loved how I could be sucked into the story, if only for a few minutes. I loved how I could understand 2009 and 2007 quite easily. There goes the college setting! In other words, no matter what the author is writing about, you will love it!

Warning: there are some parts that will offend younger and Christian readers. If you do not like swearing or some innappropriate topics, do not read this book. Remember that these kids are college students, so of course it is not for all readers. Keep this in mind!

No comments:

Search This Blog