Thursday, March 29, 2012

Uncommon Criminals by Ally Carter

It's been a long, long time since I've read a book by Ally Carter. It's been an even longer time since I've read a book about stealing, and I've missed it! I have honestly missed the wit and humor of Ally Carter! So yes, 5 out of 5 stars!


Uncommon Criminals by Ally Carter
5 out of 5 stars!
Published in 2011!
Summary from Goodreads: Katarina Bishop has worn a lot of labels in her short life life. Friend. Niece. Daughter. Thief. But for the last two months she’s simply been known as the girl who ran the crew that robbed the greatest museum in the world. That’s why Kat isn’t surprised when she’s asked to steal the infamous Cleopatra Emerald so it can be returned to its rightful owners.

There are only three problems. First, the gem hasn’t been seen in public in thirty years. Second, since the fall of the Egyptian empire and the suicide of Cleopatra, no one who holds the emerald keeps it for long, and in Kat’s world, history almost always repeats itself. But it’s the third problem that makes Kat’s crew the most nervous and that is simply… the emerald is cursed.

Kat might be in way over her head, but she’s not going down without a fight. After all she has her best friend—the gorgeous Hale—and the rest of her crew with her as they chase the Cleopatra around the globe, dodging curses, realizing that the same tricks and cons her family has used for centuries are useless this time.

Which means, this time, Katarina Bishop is making up her own rules.


Whenever Hale pops into my mind, and trust me, he does that a lot, I always think, SWOOOOOOOOOON! Yes, I am so in love with him! Hale's epic. He's loyal, cute, and charming! I love how his name is W.W. Hale! I love how he always says the awesomest to Kat and how he is always hugging Kat! I love him! Yes, he's so on my crush list. And yes, if he were real, I would so be stalking him.
Maybe it's just the name, but Hale's that smooth guy that all the girls, including me, just happen to stalk and fall in love with him!

Of course, Kat comes next. Kat, like Hale, is epic. She's clever, tiny, smart, sassy and of course, catty! In Uncommon Criminals, Kat goes through something called CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. You see, she's drunk on stealing. She's taking the credit all for herself and doing all the missions herself. She is addicted to stealing and needs to get out of it. So of course, the fabulous Ally Carter makes her learn. By the end, Kat is a much better person. She's also a much better thief and acknowledges her team. Not to mention that this development is also plausible. You see, usually characters develop too much or too little. However, Kat develops just the right amount.

As for the plot, I have one word: FANTABULOUS! I love this plot! There are so many twists, not to mention the entrance of a new jewel to steal, the Cleopatra! The Cleopatra has a dark history and an even darker shine. I am literally lusting after the Cleopatra, not to mention hating the so-called villian. Her name just might be Maggie. She's a great, twisted character at the least. I think I admire her as a villain, but let me just say that she's sly and clever. A bit too sly and clever, if you know what I mean. She's a mutant monster with a bit of ninja! Crazy!

I'm in love with the cover! I love it. Maybe it's the pearls or the Cleopatra or the model, but I'm obsessing over it! I can not stop looking at this cover. I will literally go blind looking at it over and over again. It's honestly glued to my side, and I'm totally not exaggerating!

I love the idea of stealing stuff. If I could be a theif, I so totally would! Stealing stuff is just so appealing to anyone and everyone; adults and kids alike will love it! I am so lusting after stealing, if that makes sense at all. Of course, that's expected from the genius Ally Carter. She's so clever, even more sly and clever than Maggie and Kat combined!

2 comments:

Mel@Thedailyprophecy said...

So funny that you're in love with the cover, because I clicked this book away on Goodreads because of it.. I thought it would be some kind of chick lit (and I never read those), but after seeing several reviews I read the synopsis. Now I can't wait to read this one! Thanks for the review.

Valerie said...

You're welcome! Thanks for the comment. :)

Search This Blog