Thursday, March 22, 2012

Kiss of Frost by Jennifer Estep

I love this series! With most series, I don't bother to read the sequels until about a year later. However, with the Mythos Academy series, I CAN'T NOT read it! I also can't not obsess over it. It's like a disease of obsession! 4 out of 5 stars!


Kiss of Frost by Jennifer Estep
4 out of 5 stars
Published in 2011
Summary from Goodreads: I’m Gwen Frost, a second-year warrior-in-training at Mythos Acad­emy, and I have no idea how I’m going to sur­vive the rest of the semes­ter. One day, I’m get­ting schooled in sword­play by the guy who broke my heart—the drop-dead gor­geous Logan who slays me every time. Then, an invis­i­ble archer in the Library of Antiq­ui­ties decides to use me for tar­get prac­tice. And now, I find out that some­one at the acad­emy is really a Reaper bad guy who wants me dead. I’m afraid if I don’t learn how to live by the sword—with Logan’s help—I just might die by the sword...

One thing I'm questioning is the author's choice to wait until the middle of the book to put Logan in the story. To tell you the truth, I kind of missed him. I really missed his loyalty and how he cared for Gwen. I wanted him and Gwen to be together! In other words, Logan kind of won me over. I really like him now! (The power of bad boys!)

Gwen, as usual, is your average stubborn, strong, great heroine! She's blunt, sharp and smart! I love how smart she is! She always uses her brain, even when she does not want to. Even when she is close to dying, she tries to get out of the situations and survive. She really has the mind of a heroine; I admire her character and ability to survive swords.
As for her psychometry, I'm just glad that Gwen used it well. You see, her powers grow, but she does not use them selfishly, well not in the end. She uses them for good reasons.

I could tell who the villain was the first time I read about her or him. While this time it was kind of obvious, the whole story behind it is not. I did not know the true identity of the villain until it was explained. In the end, the author still manages to surprise you. Yay! Anyways the part with the Reapers is explained in more complexity, so I feel as if I understand that part better.

I like Gwen's grandma. She is epic! I like how she can the future. However, I like her goodies and baking even more! Every time I read about what food she is whipping up, my mouth literally starts drooling. I was covered in drool by the end of the book! (Well, maybe not covered...)
Plus, I thought she had some great advice. Gwen's grandma is your light that helps you see when it's black and dark out. She's that loving character every book needs!

1 comment:

Eesti said...

The first book in the Mythos Academy series by Jennifer Estep was a fantastic mix of the Percy Jackson series meets Veronica Mars. A magical school full of warrior teens like Spartans, Valkyries, and Vikings, and then Gwen, the very not warrior-like gypsy girl who relied on wit and her own unique Touch magic to sleuth out secrets and make a buck or two in the process. While the still cool as ever more mature Percy Jackson elements were present in KISS OF FROST, the Veronica Mars comparisons are significantly less evident.

Search This Blog