Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Prom and Prejudice by Elizabeth Eulberg

One of my close friends suggested this to me. If it weren't for her, I probably would have missed this chick-lit novel. It's sweet, sassy and a cute retelling of Pride and Prejudice, which I am reading now! 3.75 out of 5 stars! Go Lizzie Bennet!


Prom and Prejudice by Elizabeth Eulberg
3.75 out of 5 stars
Published in 2011
Summary from Goodreads: From the much-buzzed-about author of THE LONELY HEARTS CLUB (already blurbed by Stephenie Meyer, Lauren Myracle, and Jen Calonita), a prom-season delight of Jane Austen proportions.It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single girl of high standing at Longbourn Academy must be in want of a prom date. After winter break, the girls at the very prestigious Longbourn Academy become obsessed with the prom. Lizzie Bennet, who attends Longbourn on a scholarship, isn't interested in designer dresses and expensive shoes, but her best friend, Jane, might be - especially now that Charles Bingley is back from a semester in London. Lizzie is happy about her friend's burgeoning romance but less than impressed by Charles's friend, Will Darcy, who's snobby and pretentious. Darcy doesn't seem to like Lizzie either, but she assumes it's because her family doesn't have money. Clearly, Will Darcy is a pompous jerk - so why does Lizzie find herself drawn to him anyway?

Like I just wrote, Prom and Prejudice is cute and sassy. It's a nice light read without any deep themes or anything, but it's super fun to read anyways! What I love about it is that it is super clean. There are no swear words or inappropriate scenes, just an incredibly nice read for anyone who likes a cute romance. Plus it is a modern take on Pride and Prejudice- an amazing classic so far. As you can tell, Prom and Prejudice makes everyone smile!

Lizzie Bennet was great, quite like the original Elizabeth Bennet. They were both pretty smart and clever, something I greatly admire in a character. While they were flawed, they ended up patching their mistakes and realizing they actually made mistakes. I was impressed by the spot-on recreation of her. The whole idea of making her a scholarship kid was genius! (Quite clever if you ask me...)
Will Darcy. Fitzwilliam Darcy. Still the same guy through and through. They both gave a terrible first impression, seen through the "pompous jerk" thought. I liked how the author was not afraid to make him seem like the original Darcy. Of course, I loved how his secret related to Lizzie greatly- it was so cute and sweet and awesome!

Making Lizzie love music was genius! I loved how the author added that in. I was impressed by all the great composers mentioned and how she described playing the piano. I was awestruck. I love music, so it was pretty easy to relate. While otherwise I would not have related to Lizzie, I did through the music. (Yes classical music!)

The ending had me swooning! It was so creative! While I can't say exactly what happened, I will say that it is unexpected but in a great way! I loved how funny and humorous and explosive it was! It added the perfect concluding sentence to it all and left the reader feeling satisfied and aching for more of the author's work.
So in other words, it was GENIUS! It was a total work of art! (The cover might hint to what happens in the end...)

2 comments:

Kimberly @ Caffeinated Reviewer said...

swooning huh...this sounds like a totally fun read!!!

Valerie said...

Yup, it totally is!

Search This Blog