Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

I've been saying the first sentence of this book over and over again since last year. Of course, it has definitely driven everyone around me crazy but not like I care! However, I've driven everyone even more crazy BECAUSE I FINALLY READ IT! And I'm pretty speechless right now... 4.5 out of 5 stars!


The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
4.5 out of 5 stars
Published in 2011
Summary from Goodreads: Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.

She's wrong.


I have a very distinct taste in books, especially when they are about ------. (Hint... synonym to killing, begins with m.) While I can't say that I loved the plot, I liked it a lot. Some of the times it was too fast-paced, especially the ending, but overall it was pretty good. I was pretty surprised by how exactly the ending turned out, but I can't say much. I will say that it is totally not your average twist. It's so much more than a twist, especially because it kind of messes up all your predictions and makes you think again. It also makes you reread it to finally get the gist of what happened. I think that's a bad thing though...

As for Mara, I'm just glad I could finally find another main character who loves drawing. You see, Mara's great at drawing and she loves it. I guess that's why many people call her artsy...
She's also famous for her rejoinders! (Witty comebacks... per say.) I loved how quickly she could come up with these super offensive biting remarks that really ticked people off. She is also pretty strong, not that it I would notice if she wasn't...
I really had some trouble understanding her visions. I could not tell what was real and what was not. I do think it will be clarified in the next book though.
Even through this all, she was pretty relatable. Mara is bogged down by tragedy, and I could not help but feel terrible for her as she tried to reason why it would happen.

Noah... some people think he's like Jace Lightwood, but I think he's in his own class. Cocky? Yes. Arrogant? Yes. A bad boy? Yes! A smoker? Yes, unfortunately. However, what people don't include is that he is incredibly loyal to Mara and that he really loves her and her family. For me I was struck by how realistic he is. You see, at times I thought he was too good to be true, but then he would make a mistake and I would be happy for his flaws. He did open up incredibly, which may or may not be normal. Not that I care, because I'm basically in love with him!

I always judge books by the last paragraph of every chapter. As for this book, it is basically always a single sentence that is super impressive. Every last sentence is catchy, true and sometimes incredibly heartfelt and funny. Of course, that makes you want to flip the page and read even more, so you end of finishing the book super quickly. Not that I care though... I'm still awed by Noah.

No comments:

Search This Blog