Friday, March 9, 2012

The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

The sky truly is everywhere, but I did not realize that until I finished reading The Sky is Everywhere. As of right now, I am staring at my book shocked because of how breathtaking and striking it is. It made me awestruck. 5 out of 5 stars!!!!!!!!


The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
5 out of 5 stars
Published in 2010
Summary from Goodreads: Seventeen-year-old Lennie Walker, bookworm and band geek, plays second clarinet and spends her time tucked safely and happily in the shadow of her fiery older sister, Bailey. But when Bailey dies abruptly, Lennie is catapulted to center stage of her own life - and, despite her nonexistent history with boys, suddenly finds herself struggling to balance two. Toby was Bailey's boyfriend; his grief mirrors Lennie's own. Joe is the new boy in town, a transplant from Paris whose nearly magical grin is matched only by his musical talent. For Lennie, they're the sun and the moon; one boy takes her out of her sorrow, the other comforts her in it. But just like their celestial counterparts, they can't collide without the whole wide world exploding.

This remarkable debut is perfect for fans of Sarah Dessen, Deb Caletti, and Francesca Lia Block. Just as much a celebration of love as it is a portrait of loss, Lennie's struggle to sort her own melody out of the noise around her is always honest, often hilarious, and ultimately unforgettable.


I think the raw, real emotion totally sold me. The Sky is Everywhere did not make me scoff at how cliche I thought it was; it shattered me heart and put it back together again. I could not believe the sheer emotion and heartbreak that is contained in such a small little book. It did not turn out to be a mini cheesy sob story I initially thought it to be. It turned out to be a gem of a novel that made me cry and later laugh through my tears. It had me bawling! (Well kind of...)

I absolutely loved the poetry Lennie wrote and ended up dropping. You see, Lennie has this amazing poetry with a pulse. What I loved about it was how it did not need to rhyme to make total harmony. (Well kind of...) It's explosive and magical and fiery. It is wistful, sad, hopeful, happy and everything good poetry is. It's also deadly and lethal because you can't stop reading it. You can really tell why the author is also a published poet. With poetry like this, I'm surprised that I did not read this before.

Quirky characters are definitely present, and I'm so glad that I got to meet them. Usually you cannot find very many good books with weirdly awesome characters. As for The Sky is Everywhere, it is a marvelous exception. I liked how Joe had some swoon-worthy smiles, Lennie's grandmother used a plant to determine Lennie's life, Big's weird fascination with bringing things back to life and Hannah's tendency to shout animals instead of swearing. In other words, these characters are totally amazing and have some cool habits! They are real and unique and smile-inducing! I fell in love with all the characters!

I like how the author made music pretty important. Music is a part of everyone's life, and Jandy Nelson did not forget. It is so inspiring the way she talks about it. Every time I read about Lennie's clarinet or Joe's playing, I got shivers down my back. I could not stop staring at the book because of how true the sentences are. I was amazed; I still am amazed. How can anyone not read this book?

As for the cover, I fell in love with it the day I saw it. While love at first sight might not occur in books, it occurs for me with covers. I love how the bold colors pop with each other and how the heart and also a rose petal. With The Sky is Everywhere, the cover alone communicates just how much you need the read it.

So.... stop reading this review! Start reading the book!

2 comments:

Kimberly @ Caffeinated Reviewer said...

this books sounds wonderful and i loved how much it moved you..thanks for a great review :)

Valerie said...

Aawwww... you're welcome! Be sure to read it now! ;)

Search This Blog