Sunday, March 4, 2012

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

I like books with girls in dresses on the covers. For me it's the sign of a very good book. As for Starcrossed, it totally surpasses my girl in a dress theory. The pink kind of adds to it... 4 out of 5 stars!


Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini
4 out of 5 stars
Published in 2011
Summary from Goodreads: How do you defy destiny?

Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is--no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.

As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together--and trying to tear them apart.


The first thing that made me happy: no insta-love! I absolutely loathe love at first sight or anything related to falling in love more than humanly possible. Somehow the author knew that and wrote a book with zero insta-love! Instead when Helen and Lucas met, they wanted to kill each other... literally! While it was kind of unsettling, I was glad that the love at first sight situation was averted. Plus, the reason they almost killed each other gets explained, so all is more than okay!

I love how the ancient ideas of the Furies and Greek mythology mold perfectly into a contemporary tale. It's so astonishing how flawless it is. Furthermore, the island of Nantucket was pure genius! (Not going to say why...) I kind of liked Nantucket. It was cute and fabulous in that small town sort of way.
As for the plot, I was impressed. Of course plots involving Greek mythology always impress, but Starcrossed was unique. There were also a lot of twists, major and minor, that I did not see. I loved how I actually could not figure anything out. Instead, I actually had to read the book to find out! For me, that's quite impressive. Basically, I loved it all!

**********SPOILER ALERT********* Helen's necklace was pretty awesome! I so want it! Plus I so did not see that it had a power.... majorly impressed! ****END SPOILER**************

I didn't exactly fall in love with Lucas. I unfortunately really only like bad boys, so it's hard for me to love other guys. While I liked Lucas, I did not like him to that extent. Sure he was pretty smart and good-looking, but he did not win me over entirely.
However, he sure won Helen over! Helen was an incredibly interesting character. I like how she thought of herself as shy and did not lie to herself about her true character. She was pretty smart and all.

So yay for awesome books with no insta-love!

1 comment:

Sverige said...

This book is one of those novels that gives you faith in our generation's writers! It gets in your head and your heart and keeps you awake at night trying to finish every last page even though your eyes hurt from being forced to stay open. I absolutely reccomend it to anyone of any age who loves romance, fantasy and expert story-telling. It's simply beautiful!

Search This Blog