Friday, January 6, 2012

Schooled by Gordan Korman

I fell in love with Gordan Korman's books ever since I started reading them. He has outrageous plots, a unique sense of humor and this ability to make everything seem fun. Needless to say, Schooled did not disappoint me. 4 out of 5 stars.


Schooled by Gordan Korman
4 out of 5 stars
Published 2.29.2000
Summary from Goodreads: Homeschooled by his hippie grandmother, Capricorn (Cap) Anderson has never watched television, tasted a pizza, or even heard of a wedgie. But when his grandmother lands in the hospital, Cap is forced to move in with a guidance counselor and attend the local middle school. While Cap knows a lot about tie-dyeing and Zen Buddhism, no education could prepare him for the politics of public school.

I love all the characters in Schooled! They basically all narrate a bit of the story, so you really know what they are thinking! From the well-meaning Cap, to the smart, calculating Hugh Winkleman, they all get a part. There's the insecure Sophie and the popular Zach Powers. And there's also Rain, Cap's grandmother. While she doesn't narrate, she plays a huge part in all of this.
Man, I love these characters!

This book is outrageous, in a good way. While it's not common for a boy to have never eaten pizza or be homeschooled, Gordan Korman makes you feel like it's perfectly normal. His plots are so crazy that they actually seem average. I love it! I love how Cap's driving skills come in handy and how his so-called weirdness actually changes people. Outrageous plots and unusual events are all part of Schooled, but that's exactly why I love it!

Even though there's a lot of funny parts in Schooled, I still love the fact that the author actually adds some serious parts too. There are parts about life, happiness and the world we live in. And the serious parts aren't overwhelming either. There's just the perfect balance of humor and actual serious stuff. (Not including Zen Buddhism...)

Gordan Korman has an amazing sense of humor. Even the first few pages had me laughing like a lunatic. Not only are the premises hilarious, but the way the story is written is humorous as well. Everything about Schooled makes me want to laugh, but of course that's a great thing! Schooled has got to be the most hilarious book published in 2000!

Even though Schooled was published twelve years ago, the book is still good. It's hard to believe that after twelve years people still love it. And that, my friends, shows you how great Schooled is and why you should read it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

following u dear
now follow my blog
http://spicedupfashion.blogspot.com/

Valerie said...

Done! :)
I love the topic!

Search This Blog