Sunday, January 22, 2012

Vampire Knight by Matsuri Hino

Vampire Knight was suggested to me by Goodreads about two months ago. I didn't check it out until a few days ago, and that was a terrible choice! I really liked it! 4 out of 5 stars.


Vampire Knight by Matsuri Hino
Published!
4 out of 5 stars
Summary from Goodreads: Cross Academy is attended by two groups of students: the Day Class and the Night Class. At twilight, when the students of the Day Class return to their dorm, they cross paths with the Night Class on their way to school. Yuki Cross and Zero Kiryu are the Guardians of the school, protecting the Day Class from the Academy's dark secret: the Night Class is full of vampires!
Yuki Cross has no memory of her past prior to the moment she was saved from a vampire attack ten years ago. She was adopted by the headmaster of Cross Academy, and now works alongside Zero to guard the Academy's secret. Yuki believes that vampires and humans can coexist peacefully, but her partner has different ideas...


Every manga artist has their own style, and I just want to say that Matsuri Hino has a slightly more childlike style. Her characters, especially Yuki, all have these huge eyes that are larger than normal manga characters. Of course, that's not necessarily a bad thing; it's just her style. Her style makes her art very distinctive, so I can basically tell she's the artist when I see a good-looking vampire with huge eyes.

Speaking of vampires, I really like this vampire named Kaname Kuran! He's so caring, kind and good-looking! He's also incredibly loyal. Plus he's a vampire! Who can resist a vampire? I am so Team Kaname!
As for the other guy in the love triangle, his name is Zero. A lot of people like him for his looks and jaded past. He's a broken boy with a terrible secret- a secret he's been keeping for the past four years...
But I'm still Team Kaname!

Yuki was an awesome character who was surprisingly feisty, strong and brave. She was so cute too! I loved reading about her, and throughout the story I was definitely cheering her on! Yuki is a great heroine; she's definitely worth reading about.

What surprised me in a good way was the lack of cheesiness. I hate cheesiness, as you can tell, and most manga stories have at least some cheesiness. For some reason though, Vampire Knight is not like other manga. Instead, it's addicting, brilliant and simply not cheesy.

I want to suck your blood. That's basically what one of the vampires says to Yuki. Now, with vampires that phrase is unavoidable. It's bound to be said. I just couldn't believe the whole story behind it all! The politics of the school and the setup of the plot are both remarkable. Both are cunning, thoughtful and not as easily laid out as you might think. The plot is actually more character-driven than action-driven, but that's okay because I like to know a lot about the characters.

I know that vampires are supposedly disgusting and boring nowadays, but I think Vampire Knight portrayed them really well. It's definitely a refreshing read that will change your perspective of vampires! Totally worth reading!

No comments:

Search This Blog