Thursday, September 1, 2011

Hourglass

Oh, wow. This book is awesome!!!!!!!!!!! Can't believe how amazing it is!!! But what else can you expect from Hourglass????????

Pretty cover!!!!!!
by Myra McEntire, out now.
Summary from Goodreads:One hour to rewrite the past . . .

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn’t there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents’ death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She’s tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson’s willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he’s around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?

Full of atmosphere, mystery, and romance, Hourglass merges the very best of the paranormal and science-fiction genres in a seductive, remarkable young adult debut

At first I wasn't sure I wanted to read this book. After all, I don't do time travel. But when I finally picked it up, I realized time travel is awesome!!!!!!!!!! Well at least Emerson's time travel. It is beyond amazing! Anyways, I liked a lot about this book.
1.) Emerson
Emerson was surprisingly strong. (both mentally and physically). Well maybe not exactly mentally. Well she was pretty strong mentally for an orphan. Anyways, I like her sarcasm and her don't-mess-with-me attitude. It was pretty refreshing, the total opposite of a certain Bella Swan we all know.

2.) the romance
I liked how it wasn't like most novels. Definitely not a love at first sight. But not an I-hate-you-for-no-apparent-reason, either. More of an I-hate-you-for-a-reason-but-I-still-can't-help-it. But it's really appropriate and quite believable, with humor, twists and quite a bit of sarcasm. ********SPOILER!!!****** But Emerson, did you really have to toss Michael? Anyways, it was quite entertaining!!!!!!!*********END SPOILER*****
A lot of fun, for sure.

3.) the setting.
I loved the setting and timeframe. First of all it was a present day timeframe. Not a Civil war era, which I thought it would be. I like how they had iPhones, coffee, and great stuff like that. Actually modern. Not only that, but they actually stayed in the present. Well for the most part, at least.
The setting: Ivy Springs. I think I want to move there! Myra McEntire captured it perfectly! A beautiful Southern town with charm and a great coffee shop called Murphy's Law. And Emerson, and Michael. Wow... it's amazing what one Southern town can have.

4.) The other characters
I loved the other characters, like Thomas(Em's brother) and Dru (his wife). Not to mention all the other characters..... I like how while the book was revolving around Emerson, Myra McEntire also had these stories about other people(even if they kind of have to do with Emerson herself). They were all so well-developed, not one action didn't make sense. It was just flawless, this book, with its amazing characters.

5.) the villians
Okay. I can't tell you who they are, but I can tell you that when I found out, I couldn't stop turning the page!! Wow... I did not see that coming. Let's just say I was unbelievably surprised. You really don't expect what happens. And I still have aftereffects from the shock...

All in all, this book is awesome!!!! And unbelievably cool!!!!!!!!!!! 5 out of 5 stars and more!!!!!!! If you haven't read this book, read it now!!!!!!! It is so awesome!!! Oops, already said that. Wow...
... and the use of exclamation points continues.....
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Search This Blog