Monday, February 6, 2012

Born at Midnight by CC Hunter

I was really excited to read Born at Midnight! My heart was pumping, my lips were parted in a smile and I was ready to just read it! However, I felt as if it could have been written a lot better. 3 out of 5 stars.


Born at Midnight by CC Hunter
3 out of 5 stars
Published in 2011
Summary from Goodreads: Don’t miss this spectacular new series that will steal your heart and haunt your dreams, Welcome to Shadow Falls camp, nestled deep in the woods of a town called Fallen…

One night Kylie Galen finds herself at the wrong party, with the wrong people, and it changes her life forever. Her mother ships her off to Shadow Falls—a camp for troubled teens, and within hours of arriving, it becomes painfully clear that her fellow campers aren’t just “troubled.” Here at Shadow Falls, vampires, werewolves, shapshifters, witches and fairies train side by side—learning to harness their powers, control their magic and live in the normal world.

Kylie’s never felt normal, but surely she doesn’t belong here with a bunch of paranormal freaks either. Or does she? They insist Kylie is one of them, and that she was brought here for a reason. As if life wasn’t complicated enough, enter Derek and Lucas. Derek’s a half-fae who’s determined to be her boyfriend, and Lucas is a smokin’ hot werewolf with whom Kylie shares a secret past. Both Derek and Lucas couldn’t be more different, but they both have a powerful hold on her heart.

Even though Kylie feels deeply uncertain about everything, one thing is becoming painfully clear—Shadow Falls is exactly where she belongs…


Note: I don't mean to offend anyone with this review. I just didn't like it.

I don't mind love triangles, as long as they are written well. With Born at Midnight, I felt that both romances were forced. I didn't like how it was all hormone based and that there was really no actual romance. Honestly, I didn't understand why she really needed to lust that much. Every time Kylie thought about a guy, she imagined sensual stuff- too much of it in my opinion. I got tired of the whole love story.

No offense to anyone that liked this story, but I think the author tried a little too hard trying to sound like a teenager. At first, it was pretty amusing, but then it got annoying. I really loathed reading it; it was hard to read something that seemed so obviously fake to me. I just got seriously sick of it.

In this story, third-person did not work out. It takes an unbelievable amount of skill to write in third-person, but I don't think Born at Midnight showed it. I felt as if I couldn't really connect with Kylie; she seemed kind of selfish and annoying. I think first-person would have worked a lot better. It would make me connect and relate to Kylie, not to mention get rid of my animosity towards her.

Also, the first 200 or so pages seemed like a really slow information load. There really wasn't much action going on until after. I felt as if the middle of the story was just this hole waiting to be covered. There was just nothing going on! While I love introductions, Born at Midnight seemed to have a super long one. It got kind of annoying after a while.

However, I did like the creativity of Born at Midnight! CC Hunter was not afraid to experiment with her paranormal creatures! It was pretty cool how she dealt with so many at once and created her own! So many different types, it was really impressive with all the different characteristics.

Overall: While I did not really like this book, you might like it! It's definitely worth a try. CC Hunter did an impressive job for her first novel, and I believe anyone who likes this book has reasons to do so. So try it out! Maybe you'll love her writing.

No comments:

Search This Blog