Thursday, February 23, 2012

Shattered Souls by Mary Lindsey

I don't think it's possible for anyone to not read this book. I was kicking myself for not reading this book earlier while I was reading it, and let me just say I'm kind of regretting my decision. Anyways, 4 out of 5 stars.


Shattered Souls by Mary Lindsey
4 out of 5 stars
Published in 2011
Summary from Goodreads: A thrilling debut story of death, love, destiny and danger
Lenzi hears voices and has visions - gravestones, floods, a boy with steel gray eyes. Her boyfriend, Zak, can't help, and everything keeps getting louder and more intense. Then Lenzi meets Alden, the boy from her dreams, who reveals that she's a reincarnated Speaker - someone who can talk to and help lost souls - and that he has been her Protector for centuries.
Now Lenzi must choose between her life with Zak and the life she is destined to lead with Alden. But time is running out: a malevolent spirit is out to destroy Lenzi, and he will kill her if she doesn't make a decision soon.


Don't judge a book by its cover. Judge a book by its cover. You know how you can tell if a book is good or not? You look at the cover! If you're basically drooling just from looking at it, you know that you had got to hurry up and read the book! I was HOOKED just by looking at the petals. That color is so pretty! Major swooning by petals!

One thing I loved about Shattered Souls was that the plot was incredibly layered. In the beginning there were a multitude of mini situations that had to be solved. Towards the middle, they started merging into one. And in the end? Well, let's just say they were solved and then came the ending! I loved how it was incredibly smooth as well. The merging was flawless, and I was shocked at how nicely it was done. While some people don't really like that you don't find out who the villian is until you get really far into the book, I enjoyed the fact that the author could keep me reading that far and not get me bored.
Not only that, but it was incredibly unique. Shattered Souls has its own ideas, including some awesome stuff relating to Protectors and Speakers. I loved how it was in its own class. Shattered Souls is the only book you'll ever find like this, and don't worry, there are tons of twists! I was hooked- I could not stop gasping or reading!

Lenzi was definitely interesting; she actually has this huge secret about herself that she doesn't know. If you've read Shattered Souls, you know what I mean, but if you haven't, let's just say she isn't exactly who she thinks she is. Lenzi was a really good person. She was really nice and well-meaning, but she could also pull a few snarky responses. It was really cool how she could hear the lost souls. I loved how she was a Speaker! Lenzi was also pretty relatable considering the circumstances. I could not believe how real she felt. Throughout the book, I felt as if I were Lenzi, not just some reader.

Alden was not exactly expected. I didn't expect him to be so awesome. He was actually a pretty good character. You could tell he really liked Lenzi. He was definitely loyal, funny, charming and cool! Like Lenzi, he was also incredibly well-meaning and nice! I loved how Alden had these gray eyes; I really love gray eyes! It was so cool how he understood Lenzi. He and Lenzi had great chemistry! They were an awesome couple!

As for Zak, I could not believe him. I was drastically disgusted by him. I could not believe Lenzi actually liked him. He had this terrible temper, which caused him to do some pretty dumb stuff. I hated how protective he was of Lenzi; he actually thought he could wrap her around his finger. Plus he was actually pretty arrogant but not in a good way! I really did not like him. Whenever there was a scene involving him, I would literally just growl at the book! Still, the author wanted you to not like him, so I guess it's a good thing that I hate him....

No comments:

Search This Blog