Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

When people who normally don't read books start gushing over one, you know you've got to read the book. Either that or somehow the friend got zapped by a book-loving pixie...
Anyways, The Name of the Wind was suggested to me by a non-reading friend. 4.5 out of 5 stars!


The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
4.5 out of 5 stars
Published in 2007
Summary from Goodreads: Told in Kvothe's own voice, this is the tale of the magically gifted young man who grows to be the most notorious wizard his world has ever seen.The intimate narrative of his childhood in a troupe of traveling players, his years spent as a near-feral orphan in a crime-ridden city, his daringly brazen yet successful bid to enter a legendary school of magic, and his life as a fugitive after the murder of a king form a gripping coming-of-age story unrivaled in recent literature. A high-action story written with a poet's hand, The Name of the Wind is a masterpiece that will transport readers into the body and mind of a wizard.

I'm surprised. I read through more than 700 pages of a really long novel. Not to mention that I finished it. That's what I love about The Name of the Wind. Even though it's super long, it went pretty quickly. I read the book in about two days, even though I did have to read through two classes...
But that's not the point! The point is that The Name of the Wind is addicting! I could not put this book down!

This plot is possibly the most interesting plot in the fantasy field ever! What happens when you add a really smart boy, some magic, a girl, a school and huge spiders/demons? You get the wickedly awesome plot of The Name of the Wind! I loved how the author hints at some plots so the pressure keeps on building up. Eventually everything happens, but you're still breathless for more. While the first few chapters were incredibly slow, the rest of the story is a snap to read. Filled with tons of interesting tidbits and a bit of humor, I could not stop reading this book.

Kvothe, pronounced Quothe, was a very interesting character. Cocky, smart, arrogant and young, I was awed by him. He was incredibly smart, but he had a really rough life. When tragedy struck, I honestly felt like crying. He was actually quite easy to relate to, considering his arrogance and situation. I didn't feel like I was reading Kvothe's story; I actually felt like I was Kvothe. Considering I don't feel that too often, I was quite surprised by how great of a character he was.

One thing that I noticed was that the title didn't exactly fit the book as well as it should have. I think it should have been along the lines of "A Story of the Past" or "Who I Used to Be" or something around there. Of course, it would definitely have to be a lot less cheesier, but still. I thought The Name of the Wind just didn't make that much sense, although it did make the book seem mysterious and elegant...

No comments:

Search This Blog