Sunday, February 5, 2012

Shug by Jenny Han

Shug is exactly the book to read on a Sunday afternoon when you're too lazy to do anything but read. That's exactly what I did, and I can't believe how much I love it! 5 out of 5 stars!


Shug by Jenny Han
5 out of 5 stars
Published in 2006
Summary from Goodreads:
SHUG

is clever and brave and true (on the inside, anyway). And she's about to become your new best friend.

Annemarie Wilcox, or Shug as her family calls her, is beginning to think there's nothing worse than being twelve. She's too tall, too freckled, and way too flat-chested. Shug is sure that there's not one good or amazing thing about her. And now she has to start junior high, where the friends she counts most dear aren't acting so dear anymore -- especially Mark, the boy she's known her whole life through. Life is growing up all around her, and all Shug wants is for things to be like they used to be. How is a person supposed to prepare for what happens tomorrow when there's just no figuring out today?


Throughout Shug, I felt like crying and smiling and cheering Shug on. I felt like screaming my heart out for Shug and her life. I felt like ripping through the book just to finish it and praise it and shower it with compliments. And that's basically what I did. I seriously did cry and squeeze out some tears, but that's only because Jenny Han did a great job writing this book.

Shug has this amazing writing style that's slow and fast at the same time. It's full of the perfect combinations of words that make it perfect for people of all ages. Jenny Han's words can bring you to tears and make you smile. Her words, or rather Shug's words, are easy to devour and remember. They're perfect for people who absorb every detail and people who just skim when reading. Basically, this book was perfect.

Shug, or Annemarie, is super relatable. She doesn't realize how amazing she truly is, she's dealing with lots of family problems and she's going through her first crush. She reminds me of a lot of people I know, and I have to say, she was definitely portrayed realistically. I loved how much she develops throughout the story. However, I loved how she isn't perfect even more! I like characters with a few flaws; that just makes them seem even more real and relatable.

I LOVED THE ENDING!!!!!! It was sweet and cute and memorable and perfect! I thought it summed up the book perfectly! It was just as awesome as the rest of the book, possibly even more! The ending isn't vague; it definitely gives you a great, positive future of Shug and her life. AND I STILL LOVE THE ENDING!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Search This Blog