Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

I honestly can not believe that I went for four years without even trying to read the Hunger Games. Oh well, at least I can finally say that I've read it while totally telling the truth. And I definitely am OBSESSING over it! 5+++ stars.


The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Published in 2008
5+++ stars
Summary from Goodreads: In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister Primrose, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before — and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.


How can you review a book that is too good to be reviewed? I honestly have no idea. Well, to begin, The Hunger Games is an epic combination of a dystopian idea that turns out to be a deadly game, the perfect writing style that is more than addicting, unforgettable characters that give me the shivers and heartbreaking events that literally had me sobbing. If you don't at least love this book, then you will never love a book.

I don't know how Suzanne Collins does it. She finds this totally unique idea and turns it into something even more gasp-inducing. The whole idea of fighting to the death is already pretty unusual, but the author adds in an endless amount of extra twists to make the book even more awesome. A lot of the events had me reeling from the shock, and that's not even including the parts where I cried....

*POSSIBLE SPOILER*: The death of a certain person really had me depressed. I could not believe that the author could actually make The Hunger Games better by killing the person off, but it actually worked. I admire Suzanne Collin's to make controversial decisions when involving the fate of characters. *END SPOILER*

The writing.... wow, Katniss' voice is simply life changing. I could not put this book down. Actually, I could, but then I started hallucinating, so I had to pick it back up again. You see, there's something special about the writing that's super addicting. While there were a few lengthy descriptions, there was nothing to the point that I was flowered out or bored. Plus the writing made me cry. What else do I need to say?

Katniss was a phenomenal character. She was incredibly strong, super smart and quite clever. She really loved her sister Primrose to the point of willing to die for her. Not only that, but she did that on national television- doesn't that kind of impress you? I also could not believe her obstinacy; she didn't back down from what she thought was right. While I was a little surprised that she didn't feel too sorry for killing someone, I still liked her a lot overall.
Why? Well, Katniss is a heroine. While she's not perfect, she still is worthy of that title.

Katniss, the girl who was on fire. The Hunger Games, a book with a fire. You need to get your hands on the fire!

No comments:

Search This Blog