Friday, February 24, 2012

The Faerie Ring by Kiki Hamilton

For some extremely odd reason, I didn't think there would be a ring involved in The Faerie Ring. Honestly, I have no idea how I could not see the ring on the cover or notice how the summary talked about a ring....
Well, 4 out of 5 stars to the book that I finally realize is about a ring.


The Fairie Ring by Kiki Hamilton
4 out of 5 stars
Published in 2011
Summary from Goodreads: Debut novelist Kiki Hamilton takes readers from the gritty slums and glittering ballrooms of Victorian London to the beguiling but menacing Otherworld of the Fey in this spellbinding tale of romance, suspense, and danger.

The year is 1871, and Tiki has been making a home for herself and her family of orphans in a deserted hideaway adjoining Charing Cross Station in central London. Their only means of survival is by picking pockets. One December night, Tiki steals a ring, and sets off a chain of events that could lead to all-out war with the Fey. For the ring belongs to Queen Victoria, and it binds the rulers of England and the realm of Faerie to peace. With the ring missing, a rebel group of faeries hopes to break the treaty with dark magic and blood--Tiki's blood.

Unbeknownst to Tiki, she is being watched--and protected--by Rieker, a fellow thief who suspects she is involved in the disappearance of the ring. Rieker has secrets of his own, and Tiki is not all that she appears to be. Her very existence haunts Prince Leopold, the Queen's son, who is driven to know more about the mysterious mark that encircles her wrist.

Prince, pauper, and thief--all must work together to secure the treaty...


Maybe it's because the unbelievable amount of sugar I've just had recently, but I am unbelievably obsessed with Rieker. Even though he's a major STALKER, I can't keep him out of my mind. I honestly think the stalking is just a phase and that it's actually kind of cute. I don't know what my thing with Rieker is, but I like him. A lot. Maybe it's the smoky eyes...
or the way that Tiki thinks about him has spread to me...
Oh, and did I mention that I love how much he loves Tiki? Or the fact that he is extremely loyal and isn't who he seems to be?

Tiki was an exceptional character. She blew me away. Honestly, I don't know how Kiki Hamilton did it. She made Tiki strong and stubborn but also extremely caring and kind. While that seems impossible, let me just say that it isn't. Somehow the author made it work. Tiki turned out to be smart, clever, nice, well-meaning and strong, but she still did not seem like a goody-two-shoes. She also was not annoying at all. In other words, she was not a damsel in distress. She could hold her own ground and have bread fights... well, not really.

Of course I thought the plot was interesting... I didn't even know a ring was involved! Even if you are aware of that, let me assure you that it's not expected. Usually faeries and rings put together in a book result in a really unpredictable plot. Such was the case for The Faerie Ring. Add in Rieker's secret, some more odd characters and the magic of the author's imagination to get one totally unique plot. Of course, even if you've already read the book, the plot will always be filled with twists and surprises and action, no matter how many times you reread it!

I have never been to London, but somehow I could visualize it perfectly. The setting was simply marvelous. I loved the talk of the buildings and the castles and the carriages. The whole era fit perfectly for the story. I loved how Tiki could just hop onto the back of a carriage, climb up a tree and not get in trouble, meet an actual prince and care for fellow orphans. Of course, that could only happen in 1871. As for London, I thought it was perfect. I thought the setting was marvelous, completely marvelous! There's something about London that is just magical, and it makes everyone happy.

I loved the writing style. I admit that I was a little reluctant at first because it was in first-person, but I have to say now that it was a perfect choice. It totally went along the setting and all. The author totally pulled it off. She managed to make me connect with Tiki and relate to her, which is extremely hard when talking third-person. Not only that, but I felt as if I was Tiki. As for the writing itself, I was completely surprised that it was not to flowery. Elegant, yes, but there were no flowers! However, there was a bit of dark humor, a great style and a totally awesome third-person story!

No comments:

Search This Blog