Monday, February 27, 2012

Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep

Unfortunately, I'm the type of person who gets obsessed with a single book for about a day (unless it's Clockwork Prince...) and absolutely must review it. As of right now, It's Touch of Frost, a book that happened to make me laugh like a maniac. 4 out of 5 stars.


Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep
4 out of 5 stars
Published in 2011
Summary from Goodreads: My name is Gwen Frost, and I go to Mythos Academy — a school of myths, magic and warrior whiz kids, where even the lowliest geek knows how to chop off somebody's head with a sword and Logan Quinn, the hottest Spartan guy in school, also happens to be the deadliest.

But lately, things have been weird, even for Mythos. First, mean girl Jasmine Ashton was murdered in the Library of Antiquities. Then, someone stole the Bowl of Tears, a magical artifact that can be used to bring about the second Chaos War. You know, death, destruction and lots of other bad, bad things. Freaky stuff like this goes on all the time at Mythos, but I'm determined to find out who killed Jasmine and why—especially since I should have been the one who died. . .


“Logan Quinn was the kind of guy who could stab me in the eye with a freaking Twizzler.”
That's precisely why I love Touch of Frost. Gwen has a great sense of humor that she's not afraid of showing. I loved how she was interested in comic books and actually admitted to loving cookies! Now how's that for a protagonist? Gwen was totally unique!
Not only that, but she was not a sissy. Plus she was really curious. She was willing to look for her own answers and not just wait for them to come. She actually tried! Even though that seems kind of normal, she actually had a great heart. She was willing to help people she hated, and she basically loved her enemies. While many YA characters are not capable of doing that, Gwen was. For that, I have to admire her. Besides, who can resist someone with an awesome name like Gwen?

Logan Quinn was kind of.... an average bad boy. He was your typical arrogant, supposedly hot guy known for all the girls he was connected with. Not only that, but he was the strongest guy at Mythos, which made girls swoon even more. While I liked his looks, I didn't exactly think he was good enough to swoon about, at least not yet. Like I said before, he was kind of average...
but not to Gwen. She ended up falling for him and hard, too. Oh well, at least she chose a guy with connections.
Okay, so maybe I kind of like him too, but I still kind of dislike him. Well, at least I kind of like him.

As for the whole academy idea, I have to say that at least the author made it interesting. At least she didn't use the same old boring creatures, like vampires. She made her own academy and actually used the Greek part pretty well. While the only Greek mythology I know comes from Percy Jackson, I have to say I was happy to see it again. The mythology was not exactly the same, but I still appreciate that it was there.
As for the villian, I'm just going to say that he or she was not expected. He or she made me very surprised, more than usual. Usually I can guess who the villian is, but this was a mystery. (Cue spooky music...)
I loved how much action there was! Touch of Frost is not a book for people who like slow books. It was fast-paced and awesome! There was lots of suspense, so I was extremely happy!

No comments:

Search This Blog