Thursday, February 2, 2012

Crossed by Allie Condie

I was so scared to read this book. Not that Matched was a bad book or anything, but I got kind of scared. I was so scared that Crossed was going to be worse than Matched. I was so wrong. 4.5 out of 5 stars!


Crossed by Allie Condie
4.5 out of 5 stars
Published in 2011
Summary from Goodreads: The hotly awaited second book in the dystopian Matched trilogy

In search of a future that may not exist and faced with the decision of who to share it with, Cassia journeys to the Outer Provinces in pursuit of Ky - taken by the Society to his certain death - only to find that he has escaped, leaving a series of clues in his wake.

Cassia's quest leads her to question much of what she holds dear, even as she finds glimmers of a different life across the border. But as Cassia nears resolve and certainty about her future with Ky, an invitation for rebellion, an unexpected betrayal, and a surprise visit from Xander - who may hold the key to the uprising and, still, to Cassia's heart - change the game once again. Nothing is as expected on the edge of Society, where crosses and double crosses make the path more twisted than ever.


Don't you hate it when you love a book and everyone else hates it? I do. That's the case with Crossed. It has a 3.51 average rating on Goodreads, which is pretty bad. The reviews are mostly mean, and I hate that they are ripping an author's work! I honestly loved this book, but I guess you might not.

Now for the actual review without ranting. I honestly can not review this book. The words, they were so strong and powerful. They flew off the page like poetry. Every phrase had a certain rhythm that you could feel. I loved the beauty of it. Allie Condie knows how to word things. That's the truth of it all. Every word was perfect.

The plot was definitely a lot better than the plot of Matched. The plot of Matched was kind of boring, no offense, and wasted on the love life of Cassia. (Okay, so I'm exaggerating a little...) Meanwhile, Crossed was a lot more fast-paced. It focused on more important things like the Society and its problems, the Rebellion and actually interesting ideas. Allie Condie brought in a few new characters that all had a huge part in the story. They were pretty awesome! Anyways, I could not believe all the twists in the story. You learn about Ky's secret, Xander's secret, the truth of the blue tablets and about the Rebellion. I felt like I was punched when I reading the twists; they were that effective!

What's different about Crossed is that it's also in Ky's POV (point of view). While that was definitely risky, it really paid off. I can now officially say that I am TEAM KY!!!!!!!!!!! He was really amazingly awesome! Being in his POV really made me understand and kind of fall in love with him, at the least! Having his story really filled in a lot of the gaps I would have had with only Cassia's narrating. KY I LOVE YOU!!!!

I can not believe the Society. It's cruel, heartless, cold, mean and plain terrible. I could not believe the extent the Society went to, all to create a utopia that wasn't even close to perfect. I was horrified, apalled and scared. I honestly wanted to stop reading it, but I couldn't. Instead I read even more quickly!
Wow I loved this book! *Insert swooning here*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more with you. Just because its a trilogy and she doesn't have enough ideas so she decided to make a "bridge" connecting the first and third book, when Crossed can be dissolved in a few chapters. Waste of resources. Doesn't she have conscience. Think about all the trees that died for her stupid book. And think about how disappointed her fans were. I'm glad i borrowed cause the first wasn't that promising.

Valerie said...

Blair, I actually happened to like Crossed...

Search This Blog