Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Blood Red Road by Moira Young

I have to say, the book is a bloody awesome book (pun may or may not be intended). By bloody, I mean it's just a bloody good book AND that there's a lot of blood. Still, I had one problem that kinda brings it down a little. Overall a 4.75 out of 5 stars.


Blood Red Road by Moira Young
4.75 out of 5 stars
Out and out
Summary from Goodreads: Saba has spent her whole life in Silverlake, a dried-up wasteland ravaged by constant sandstorms. The Wrecker civilization has long been destroyed, leaving only landfills for Saba and her family to scavenge from. That's fine by her, as long as her beloved twin brother Lugh is around. But when a monster sandstorm arrives, along with four cloaked horsemen, Saba's world is shattered. Lugh is captured, and Saba embarks on an epic quest to get him back.
Suddenly thrown into the lawless, ugly reality of the world outside of desolate Silverlake, Saba is lost without Lugh to guide her. So perhaps the most surprising thing of all is what Saba learns about herself: she's a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. And she has the power to take down a corrupt society from the inside. Teamed up with a handsome daredevil named Jack and a gang of girl revolutionaries called the Free Hawks, Saba stages a showdown that will change the course of her own civilization.

Blood Red Road has a searing pace, a poetically minimal writing style, violent action, and an epic love story. Moira Young is one of the most promising and startling new voices in teen fiction.


Let me first say this: I LOVE Saba. She's so warrior-like. Some people would call that jaded and a murderer, but still, she's such a warrior. She stubborn! I love my stubborn girls! Not only that, but she speaks her mind. Sometimes that kind of hurts her, but that's what I absolutely love about her. She's bold, blunt and just plain cool! My. Favorite. Protagonist. Ever!!! I absolutely love her! If you need some references, she's like Rose from the Vampire Academy or Sophie from Hex Hall. Snarky. Sarcastic. Stubborn. Super. In other words, Saba! Yeah, I could rant and rant about how much I love her, but I think I should stop.

Then there's Jack. He's pretty... well... hot. That's not a word I use much. But notice, he's not that hot. There's a difference between hot and Hot. And Jack, I'm sorry but you're just hot. But hey, you look good, so all is well! Brown hair and silver eyes that shimmer in the moonlight. Yup, that's called good-looking. Love it.

And it wasn't an insta-love! I hate insta-loves. They're kinda cheesy. So I was glad this was more, well, regular. It was slower and more believable. In fact, they started out hating each other! I absolutely love their romance! I love how they kinda hated each other but still couldn't stop thinking about eachother! Yeah, that's enough each others'. Next topic, here I come.

Did I mention there's action? Like a ton of it? No? Well now I did. It's absolutely amazing how much action there is. I love it! I dig it! Tons of fighting, shooting, and everything. Then there's this whole thing with the hellwurms. You read about them later, and they are LEGENDARY. I absolutely loved that part. Such a part that needs to be read.

I like the plot. It shows the progression of Saba, how she grows to love not only Jack, but her sister. It shows how much of a good person she is. And fine, what a good warrior/fighter too. Yeah, this was a nice plot. You need to read it to find out just how many surprises there were with the Pinches, the King, the Tonton and everything else. You absolutely need to read this book!

Just one thing: this book has terrible grammar. And it's intentional. Now, I'm not a sucker for grammar, but Blood Red Road went overboard with the bad grammar. There's only so many ain'ts and cain'ts and I says and other things. And the dialogue's grammar was really hard to get. You'll see what I mean when you READ the book. But you get used to it. So all's good.

What are you waiting for? Just read the bloody book!

No comments:

Search This Blog