Monday, October 24, 2011

Deep Down Popular by Phoebe Stone

A friend I know suggested this book to me. So of course I had to read it! But now I'm not so sure if that was the best choice... cause I'm kind of regretting it. Just kind of. Why? Because it's 3.5 out of 5 stars.


Deep Down Popular by Phoebe Stone
3.5 out of 5 stars
It's out
Summary from Goodreads: 6th-grader Jessie Lou is deeply, madly, passionately in love with Conrad Parker Smith. Too bad she's a tomboy with only one on-again, off-again friend, and hair so short you can't spit on it. Too bad he's the most popular boy in their small-town school.


But then Conrad hurts his leg and suddenly can't keep up with his old pursuits anymore. Jessie Lou and Conrad start spending a lot more time together, but she can't help wonder -- is she just a substitute friend? And will Conrad forget her when his leg brace comes off and he's king of the school once again?


Notice one thing first: Jessie Lou is in 6th grade! And she's not just crushing on a boy! She's in love! Full, deep resonating love! I don't know if it's just me, but that's kind of young to truly be in love. It seems off somehow.
Then there's Conrad. He's in 6th grade too. Why aren't you two in high school? Why not? Please just grow up 3 more years! That's all I'm asking here.

I really have a problem with Conrad. I think he's so not crush-worthy. This whole book about a girl trying to get a boy turned out with the boy being boring. He has no personality, no spark, no mind. If I didn't know better, I'd think that there was no Conrad. Or that there was no Prince Charming. I just don't get why Jessie Lou liked him. Did she like him for his looks? Why does she like him? Also, I noticed that Jessie never mentions why she likes, I mean loves, him so much. She just does.
Jessie Lou was actually okay. I didn't mind her. She was a tomboy- which I like! that wrote poems- which I love! I liked how deeply she loved, even if she was a sixth grader. She had something about her that just connected. She's pretty relatable too, with or without this whole love thing. You just click with her, and she just clicks with you. Also there's this whole not average thing that floats around her too.

The plot was boring. Er. Than most plots. But hey, it's love. You don't need plots in love. Love can conquer all! BUT there were side plots, some of which involve stopping the building of a mall, a beauty pageant, and some other stuff not pickle related. Err. I mean, not love related. Anyways, it's a nice Southern plot. More relaxed, less intense. Not all in your face. In other words, not for me. But still!

It's still a good book for everyone!

No comments:

Search This Blog