Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Haunting Violet, by Alyxandra Harvey

“Tucking my nose into a book makes me completely oblivious to my surroundings. I would have made a terrible spy in the army--the first person to hand me a novel would have been able to shoot my head clean off without me noticing.” -Haunting Violet
Look at that quote!!! It's about reading! And books! And that means only one thing: it's awesome!!!!! I love books with characters that love books! In other words, 5 out of 5 stars! ...that aren't haunted...
That was cheesy.


Haunting Violet, by Alyxandra Harvey
Published June 21, 2011
5 out of 5 stars!
Summary from Goodreads:Violet Willoughby doesn't believe in ghosts. But they believe in her. After spending years participating in her mother's elaborate ruse as a fraudulent medium, Violet is about as skeptical as they come in all matters supernatural. Now that she is being visited by a very persistent ghost, one who suffered a violent death, Violet can no longer ignore her unique ability. She must figure out what this ghost is trying to communicate, and quickly because the killer is still on the loose.

Afraid of ruining her chance to escape her mother's scheming through an advantageous marriage, Violet must keep her ability secret. The only person who can help her is Colin, a friend she's known since childhood, and whom she has grown to love. He understands the true Violet, but helping her on this path means they might never be together. Can Violet find a way to help this ghost without ruining her own chance at a future free of lies?


Guess what? This book is a murder mystery! And a paranormal book! And a half, but not really, romance! I'm for it all, but really only for the murder! Still, this book has it all! And that's a good thing! Yay! Go a variety of intriging things!
Not only that, but this murder mystery is truly a mystery! The killer is the last person you'd suspect. I suspected a ton of people, but the killer was the one I didn't even think about! Let's just say this murderer is a very good murderer... is he? Or she?
Anyways, besides that, the plot is still astounding! It's actually kind of ironic if you think about it. In other words, Valerie loves this plot!!!!!!!!!! And you should love it too! Absolutely amazing!

Oh, the time! It's in 1872! In England! Victorian era, delicious description, nice narrating, totally an old-fashioned novel! That appeals to modern readers! Anyways... it's a beautiful setting totally worth raving about! I absolutely devoured this setting. And the story. Anyways, where else can you go besides London?

And ghosts... wow... I was not expecting that! Ghosts are usually the forbidden species, ignored by time and rain. But not anymore! In this book, ghosts are... pretty interesting, to say it at the least. And pretty awesome! So unique and captivating! There, I used big words!

And I liked Violet a lot. She was smart and clever and basically okay with me! Well more than okay, but still! She's strong, which I admire, a bookworm, which makes me even more okay with her, and a great friend, which is a must on my list. Basically, a perfect protagonist and a perfect main character to write about. Yay, and her name is Violet because she has violet eyes! I've always wanted violet eyes!

And then there's a guy. Colin, to be exact. He's your average bad boy. Yup, just average. But good-looking. Still, I like him a lot! Lots of good quotes. Lots of swoon-worthy moments. Lots and lots of admiration... from a certain Valerie. Anyways, Colin is pretty awesome for a Victorian dude. That's all you really need to know...

And all you'll ever get from me.

2 comments:

Cass said...

Sounds good, love the qoute :)

Valerie said...

I know, that is an amazing quote! But why wouldn't it be?
It's really, really good! (the book, not the quote)

Search This Blog